About this site

This website focuses on issues regarding social protection in Asia and the activities done by the Network on Social Protection Rights (INSP!R) and its members. It is under the editorial oversight from the Asia Steering Committee, composed out of members from India, Bangladesh, Nepal, Cambodia, Indonesia and Philippines. It is meant to foster dialogue and share experiences.
The articles describe challenges and achievements to improve the right to social protection to workers in the region, with a specific focus to gender, youth and informal workers.

12 October 2017

2014-2016 impact: Access to health

IMPACT
Achieved at 88%. Through GK in Bangladesh and AREDS in India, 351.466 people benefitted from health care and insurance. Health care expenditure of 12.380 workers was reduced by 6 to 7%. Also note that in the areas GK works, Crude Birth Rate and Maternal Mortality Ratio went down by respectively 14 and 12% for 275.000 beneficiaries.

OUTPUT

Number of people
To which extend achieved planned
Awareness raising
14.763
196%
Access to health care
351.292
134%
Self-organized health insurance
231.461
176%
GK paramedics doing community visits and post-natal care.
“I was born outside of Dhaka, near the border with India. My marriage was arranged when I was 12, thirteen years ago. While in the beginning, I was a housewife, I started working as garment worker two years ago. My husband was already working at the same garment company, so I wanted to add to the family income. We have two children, 7 and 3 years old, all living in one room. From my monthly salary of 8.000BDT, I pay 2.000BDT for rent. I opened a bank account, on which I deposits half, the other half I give to my husband. I come to GK service center because after my appendix was taken out at the GK reference hospital, it is still painful so I wanted some medication or painkillers. I have been covered by the GK insurance scheme for the past fifteen months. The operation was done for free, while in private clinic it would cost at least 30.000BDT. I would be very willing to pay 10BDT per month to continue this coverage, because if I have to pay for services, this would have probably amounted for the past year to around 5.000BDT.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.